Sandbox

Qui tangit frangatur.

My Photo
Name:

A round peg in a world of square holes...

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Puppy love



The recent flood of dangerously cute pictures by lingthemerciless (and her friend, Janice) made me reminisce about my dogs.



Here's Rex (on the left) when he was 2 years old. At that time, Jenny (on the right) was 4.5 years old. Jenny was an incredible dog. When gate opens for the cars and the dogs dash out, Jenny would remain. Upon hearing the command, "Jenny, get them back!" she would run out after them. A few minutes later, with Jenny nipping at their heels, all the dogs would come galloping back into the compound.

One of the puppies, Pinky, peers inquisitively as I fiddle with the manual SLR camera. Much of my childhood and early teens were spent traipsing forest trails in Upper Peirce and Mandai with the dogs.





7.5 years later. Jenny has since passed away from cancer (a disease Boxers are genetically susceptible to). Rex became depressed ever since Jenny left. We got him a companion, Caesar, a German Shepherd, but they didn't get along. After a few fights, they settled on ignoring each other's presence. At one point, Rex's weight ballooned to 67 kg (147.4 lbs). It became quite a task bringing him out.


REX [sits down on the sidewalk]
BEN:  Rex, come on. Let's go.
REX [continues sitting]:  Nope.
BEN:  Come on! I haven't got all day.
REX:  Nope.
BEN:  Rex! If you don't move now, I'm gonna drag you all the way home!
REX:  Make me.
BEN [tugs futilely at the leash]:  Ugh! Ugh!


I spent many evenings sitting on the sidewalk, waiting until Rex decides it's time to return home.

In his later years, Rex even recognized — and answered to — his nickname, "Fat Dawg."

At the age of 14, having developed bloat, and, being too old to survive an operation, Rex was put to sleep at Mount Pleasant Animal Hospital. I cried buckets.





'Stumbled upon two friendly 9.5-month-old Great Dane puppies (Yes, these are puppies. Great Danes are giant dogs.) whilst biking on a mountain ridge in a redwood forest in North California.








This is Freckles, an extremely affectionate English Cocker Spaniel. We crossed paths 4 years ago. Besides eating, she likes nothing more than dozing off in my arms.





Even as a toddler, I had dogs with me. I have forgotten the name of this Boxer puppy, but my grandma called her OrrPi (Black Nose).





If you are into dogs and have room in your home (and heart) for one, or know someone who does, please consider Rusty, a licensed and sterilized, 8-year-old, male Golden Retriever. He appears to have been abandoned by his owner and will be euthanized soon if nobody adopts him. He doesn't need much exercise, just some TLC. Contact skinnypinny[AT]hotmail[DOT]com for details.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Eeeee...That baby in the tub...is that you M-King Kong? akakakkaakak :P SOooo Cute!!!

So..what happened to Pinky? I can't rem...

Arrgghh..jolted the memories where Rex just jumped right up to moi!! Yikes!! Bad Rexy...Bad!!!

November 05, 2007 12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home